Quickbooks Online Tips & Tricks
Quickbooks Online is one of the most well-known and trusted online accounting software products available on the market today. As of November 2018, Intuit reported over 3.5 million active subscribers. Below are some tips and tricks that we’ve found that may increase efficiency in your day-to-day use of the software. We recommend using Google Chrome to best utilize the features of Quickbooks Online.
- Control, ALT and forward slash keys will bring up a list of helpful keyboard shortcuts. Some examples; press Control, ALT, i to bring up a new invoice screen; Control, ALT, c to bring up your customer list.
- To utilize multiple tabs, right click on the current tab then click “duplicate tab” as many times as needed.
- You can also right click on anything with a hyperlink (for example, a Balance Sheet in the Reports section) and then click “open link in new tab”.
- If you’d like to view reports side by side, you can “peel” a window away by left clicking on the second tab, holding and pulling this window to another monitor or just to the side of your current monitor. You can then adjust the size of each window to view the reports next to each other.
- If you find that you view one report often, set up a bookmark that you can come back to directly whenever you’d like. Pull up the report and then click the * in the URL bar in your Chrome browser.
- Shortcuts for the date field. Type “y” to go to the beginning of the year, “m” to go to the beginning of the current month, “h” for the current month end, “r” for the current year end, “t” for today’s date. If needed, you can press these keys multiple times to cycle thru dates, either forward or backward.
- Another date related shortcut, if you want to date a transaction September 4th, for example, you can simply type 0904 in the date field and press tab. The software will fill in the date (assuming you are working on a current year).
- If you are tired of being automatically logged out of your QB Online session, you can change the time frame for this under your gear icon, then Account and Settings, Advanced and then “Sign me out if inactive for” under Other Preferences.
While not a comprehensive list of all the time saving features of QB Online, we hope that you’ll find something in the list that is helpful to you.
Here at Price Kong & Co., CPAs, we have skilled bookkeepers and QB ProAdvisors on staff ready to assist if you have any questions. We’ll be happy to help.
Tina M. Wahl